|Home :: Visitors :: College Dateline|
1948 Pensacola State College begins as Pensacola Junior College, the first junior college chartered by the state of Florida. The college opens its doors on Sept. 8 in the Aiken boarding house on the corner of Palafox and Cervantes streets with 136 students, under the direction of James L. McCord.
1953The college moves one block south to the old Pensacola High School due to increased enrollment and student activities.
1955 Pensacola Junior College Alumni Association is chartered and Joe Frosio, a 1950 graduate, is the first president.
1956 Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools grants Pensacola Junior College accreditation.
1957 The college moves to new buildings on Ninth Avenue, its present location. The 80-acre plot comes from the City of Pensacola and the Baars estate.
The Foundation is incorporated and Crawford Rainwater serves as the Foundation’s first president.
Booker T. Washington Junior College, Florida’s first black junior college established in September 1949, merges with the college. Dr. Garrett T. Wiggins, WJC president and visionary educator, joins the college administration as director of research.
1967 WSRE-TV begins airing educational programming at Pensacola Junior College. The station’s license is transferred to the college in 1972.
1968 Florida Legislature designates the District Board of Trustees as the college’s governing body.
1971 Pensacola Junior College’s Milton Center opens in the old Canal Street School to better serve Santa Rosa County residents.
1977Pensacola Junior College’s Warrington campus opens on West Highway 98, emphasizing health and dental programs.