There are no prerequisites for this course.
HUN1201 Elements Of Nutrition
||Introduces the nursing student to client care needs: safe effective
care environment, health promotion and maintenance, psychosocial
integrity, and physiological integrity. Client care needs,
professional behaviors, communication, clinical decision-making,
caring interventions, teaching and learning collaboration, and
managing care activities form the integrated framework for clinical
practice in long term and acute care settings.
- Evolve. [Evolve Access Code] SimChart (18 month student Access), none ed., Evolve, 2011. ISBN: 9781455710874
- Elsevier. Adaptive Learning for Ignatavicius Medical-surgical Nursing, 7th ed., Elsevier, 2013. ISBN: 9780323288224
- Potter, R. A. & Perry, A. G.. Adaptive Learning for Potter & Perry: Fundamentals of Nursing, 8th ed., Elsevier-Mosby, 2012. ISBN: 9780323288286
- Evolve-Elsevier. Adaptive Quizzing for the NCLEX-RN Exam (36 month)[Evolve Access Code], 000 ed., Evolve, 2103. ISBN: 9780323113397
- Pamela L. Swearingen, RN. All-In-One Care Planning Resource, 3rd ed., Mosby, 2012. ISBN: 9780323074209
- Giddens. Concepts for Nursing Practice, ed., Elsevier, 2013. ISBN: 9780323083775
- Deglin, J.H. & Vallerand, A.H.. Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses, 13th ed., F.A. Davis, 2013. ISBN: 9780803628335
- Varcarolis, E. M. & Halter, M. J.. Essentials of Psychiatric Mental health Nursing: A Communication Approach to Evidence-Based Practice, 2nd ed., Saunders-Elsevier, 2014. ISBN: 9780323287883
- Potter, R.A. & Perry, A.G.. Fundamentals of Nursing, 8th ed., Elsevier-Mosby, 2012. ISBN: 9780323079334
- McKinney. Maternal-Child Nursing [ebook available], 4th ed., Evolve-Elsevier, 2012. ISBN: 9781437727753
- Ignatavicius & Workman. Medical-Surgical Nursing, 7th ed., Evolve-Elsevier, 2013. ISBN: 9781437728019
- Potter & Perry. Nursing Skills Online, Version 3.0 for Potter & Perry[Evolve Access Code], 8th ed., Evolve-Elsevier, 2012. ISBN: 9780323100540
- Kees & Hayes. Pharmacology: A Nursing Process Approach, 8th ed., Evolve, 2015. ISBN: 9781455751488
- Elsevier. Simulation Learning System for Ignatavicius: Medical-Surgical Nursing, 7th ed., Elsevier, 2013. ISBN: 9781455728084
- Elsevier. Simulation Learning System for McKinney: Maternal-Child Nursing, 4th ed., Elsevier, 2102. ISBN: 9781455774326
- Evolve-Elsevier. Simulation Learning System for Potter & Perry: Funcamentals of Nursing[Evolve Access Code], 8th ed., Evolve-Elsevier, 2012. ISBN: 9781455773947
- Bandage Scissors
- Nursing Lab Supplies - Various (RN)
- Nugent, P.M. & Vitale, B.A.. Fundamentals Success, 3rd ed., F. A. Davis, 2012. ISBN: 978083627796
||DOSAGES AND SOLUTIONS TEST:
Students are required to take the Dosages and Solutions Test as a
measure for program progression. To successfully pass this test,
students must achieve a score of 90% or better within two attempts.
The student's score on this test does NOT count toward the student's
course grade, but it is a requirement to progress to the next
|Program Learning Outcomes:
Identify attributes and values necessary for the role of the
Differentiate among effective, non-effective, non-effective,
therapeutic, and non-therapeutic communication
Relate the nursing process to clinical decision-making to promote
physiological and psychosocial integrity
Maintain a safe environment for the client
Teaching and Learning
With the assistance of the instructor, develop a teaching plan for a
Establish a collaborative relationship with the client to assure
client input into decision-making.
Effectively manage nursing care through planning and organizing
nursing care to support client needs.
|Course Learning Outcomes:
See expanded syllabus developed by the instructor for each section
|Methods of Evaluation:
||Evaluation of the student's level of success in meeting the course
objectives and expected learning outcomes is the responsibility of
the instructor, within the policies of Pensacola State College and
the Nursing Department. Competency will be measured through in-class
exams and other graded assignments, safe/satisfactory completion of
lab/skills competencies, and safe/satisfactory clinical performance
Detailed explanations are included in the expanded Syllabus
developed by the instructor for each section being taught.
|| It is the intention of the instructor to accomplish the objectives specified in the course syllabus. However, circumstances may arise which prohibit the fulfilling of this endeavor. Therefore, this syllabus is subject to change. When possible, students will be notified of any change in advance of its occurrence.
|Student Email Accounts
||Pensacola State College provides an institutional email account to all credit students. Pirate Mail is the official method of communication, and students must use Pirate Mail when communicating with the College. In cases where companion software is used for a particular class, emails may be exchanged between instructor and student using the companion software.
|| For students with a disability that falls under the Americans with Disability Act or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, it is the responsibility of the student to notify Student Resource Center for ADA Services to discuss any special needs or equipment necessary to accomplish the requirements for this course. Upon completion of registration with the Student Resource Center for ADA Services office, specific arrangements can be discussed with the instructor.