Introduces the nursing student to client care needs: safe effective
care environment, health promotion and maintenance, psychosocial
integrity, and physiological integrity. Client care needs,
professional behaviors, communication, clinical decision-making,
caring interventions, teaching and learning collaboration, and
managing care activities form the integrated framework for clinical
practice in long term and acute care settings.
- Potter & Perry. [Evolve Access Code] Nursing Skills Online, Version 2.0 for Potter & Perry: Fundamentals of Nursing, 8th ed., Evolve-Elsevier, 2012. ISBN: 978032089241
- Evolve. [Evolve Access Code] SimChart (18 month student Access), none ed., Evolve, 2011. ISBN: 9781455710874
- Evolve. [Evolve Access Code] Simulation learning System for Lewis Medical Surgical Nursing, 8th ed., Evolve, 2011. ISBN: 9780323079136
- Evolve. [Evolve Access Code] Simulation Learning System for Potter & Perry Fundamentals of Nursing, 7th ed., Evolve, 2012. ISBN: 9780323073721
- Pamela L. Swearingen, RN. All-In-One Care Planning Resource, 3rd ed., Mosby, 2012. ISBN: 9780323074209
- Leeuwen & Poelhuis-Leth. Davis's Comprehensive Handbook of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests with Nursing Implications, 5th ed., F.A. Davis, 2013. ISBN: 9780803636644
- Deglin, J.H. & Vallerand, A.H.. Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses, 13th ed., F.A. Davis, 2013. ISBN: 9780803628335
- Potter, R.A. & Perry, A.G.. Fundamentals of Nursing, 8th ed., Elsevier-Mosby, 2013. ISBN: 9780323079334
- Nugent, P.M. & Vitale, B.A.. Fundamentals Success, 3rd ed., F. A. Davis, 2012. ISBN: 978083627796
- Hinds, et al. HESI Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN Examination, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2011. ISBN: 9780323065856
- Lewis, S.N., Heitkemper, M.M., Dirksen, S.R., O'Brien, P.G., & Bucher, L.. Medical-Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems, 8th ed., Mosby-Elsevier, 2011. ISBN: 9780323065801
- Kee, J. L., & Hayes, E.R.. Pharmacology: A Nursing Process Approach, 7th ed., Saunders-Elsevier, 2012. ISBN: 9781437717712
- Silvestri, L.A.. Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN Examination, 5th ed., Elsevier, 2011. ISBN: 9781437720228
- Lewis, S.N., Heitkemper, M.M., Dirksen, S.R., O'Brien, P.G., & Bucher, L.. Study Guide - Medical-Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems, 8th ed., Mosby-Elsevier, 2011. ISBN: 9780323066549
- Potter, R.A. & Perry, A.G.. Study Guide and Skills Performance Checklists for Potter/Perry Fundamentals of Nursing, 8th ed., Elsevier-Mosby, 2012. ISBN: 9780323084697
- Weins, D., & Thomas, C.L.. Taber's Cylcopedic Medical Dictionary, 22nd ed., F.A. Davis, 2013. ISBN: 978083615595
- Nugent, P.M. & Vitale, B.A.. Test Success: Test-Taking Techniques for Beginning Nursing Students, 6th ed., F.A. Davis, 2012. ISBN: 9780803628182
- Bandage Scissors
- Nursing Lab Supplies - Various (RN)
|Program Learning Outcomes:
Program Outcome 1: Patient-Centered Care
Advocate for patients, recognizing the patient or designee as the
source of control and full partner in providing compassionate and
coordinated care based on respect for patient’s preferences, values,
Program Outcome 2: Teamwork and Collaboration
Collaborate effectively within nursing and inter-professional teams,
fostering open communication, mutual respect, and shared decision-
making to achieve quality patient care.
Program Outcome 3:Evidence-Based Practice (EBP)
Use nursing judgment based on best current evidence to provide safe
care for patients and families across the lifespan.
Program Outcome 4: Quality Improvement (QI)
Apply principles of quality improvement to monitor the outcomes of
care and minimize risk of harm to patients and providers.
Program Outcome 5: Safety
Employ practices to ensure safety of patients and improve outcomes
PROGRAM OUTCOME 6: Informatics
Use information and technology to communicate, document care,
minimize error, and support decision making.
PROGRAM OUTCOME 7: Professionalism
Demonstrate professionalism in the implementation of the role of the
|Course Learning Outcomes:
Patient Centered Care
1. Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of the concepts of pain
and suffering, including physiologic models of pain and comfort
to assess the levels of pain and suffering, physical and emotional
comfort, determine the expectations of the patient and family for
relief, and initiate effective treatment.
Team Work and Collaboration
2. Function competently within the scope of practice as a team
member or leader based on situation of the health care team and
managing potential overlaps in team member roles and
Evidence Based Practice
3. Use reliable sources for locating evidence reports related to
clinical practice topics and guidelines.
4. Use tools to that explain the importance of variation and
measurement in assessing quality of care.
5. Demonstrate the effective use of technology and standardized
practices that support safety and quality and use of strategies to
reduce risk of harm to self or others.
6. Apply technology and information management tools to support safe
processes of care.
7. Maintain professional behavior and appearance.
8. Comply with the Nursing Code of Ethics, Standards of Practice,
and policies and procedures of Pensacola State College, Department
of Nursing, and clinical agencies.
9. Accept individual responsibility and accountability for nursing
interventions, outcomes, and other actions.