There are no prerequisites for this course.
There are no corequisites for this course.
This is a course in personal financial planning, resource
management, and economic security. It is designed to provide
students with the basic analytical skills and practical working
knowledge necessary to set realistic financial goals, prepare a
manageable budget, and make the decisions that will protect income,
assets, credit rating, and retirement security. The course stresses
objective approaches and strategies in determining needs, designing
and managing a budget, coping with income and other taxes,
calculating the cost of and wisely using credit, stretching income
and assets through the effective use of insurance and investment
options, and managing all phases of a financial program to achieve
personal financial goals.
- Kapoor, Diabay, and Hughes. Connect Plus Finance with LEAR (2nd of 2 choices), 4 ed., McGraw-HIll, 2012. ISBN: 9780077506957
- Kapoor, Diabay, and Hughes. Focus on Personal Finance (Loose Page) (1st of 3 choices for in-classroom course), 4 ed., McGraw-HIll, 2012. ISBN: 9780077507022
- Kapoor, Diabat, and Hughes. Loose Leaf Personal Finance with Connect Plus, 4 ed., McGraw - Hill, 2012. ISBN: 9780078093203
Additional materials may be assigned by the instructor to supplement the required materials. -->
||Computer and online access required.
|Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Plan and budget effectively within income limitations.
- Recognize the need to adopt financial planning to changing
personal and family needs.
- Recognize how personal activities affect income tax liability
and develop plans to minimize the liability.
- Analyze the comparative merits of buying and renting a
|Course Learning Outcomes:
To achieve these learning outcomes, the following will be
- Evaluation of the various types of credit.
- Discuss the various types of insurance.
- Analyze the advantage and disadvantages of various
- Assess the strategies available for retirement planning.
|Methods of Evaluation:
Evaluation of student progress towards achieving the stated learning
outcomes and performance objectives is the responsibility of the
instructor, within the polices of the college and the department.
Detailed explanation is included in the expanded syllabus developed
by the instructor for each section being taught.
It is the intention of the instructor to accomplish the objectives specified in the course syllabus. However, circumstances may arise which prohibit the fulfilling of this endeavor. Therefore, this syllabus is subject to change. When possible, students will be notified of any change in advance of its occurrence.
|Student Email Accounts:
||Pensacola State College provides an institutional email account to all credit students. Pirate Mail is the official method of communication, and students must use Pirate Mail when communicating with the College. In cases where companion software is used for a particular class, emails may be exchanged between instructor and student using the companion software.
For students with a disability that falls under the Americans with Disability Act or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, it is the responsibility of the student to notify Student Resource Center for ADA Services to discuss any special needs or equipment necessary to accomplish the requirements for this course. Upon completion of registration with the Student Resource Center for ADA Services office, specific arrangements can be discussed with the instructor.
||Pensacola State College does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, color, gender/sex, age, religion, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information in its educational programs, activities or employment. For inquiries regarding Title IX and the college’s nondiscrimination policies, contact the Associate Vice President for Institutional Diversity/Title IX Officer at (850) 484-1759, Pensacola State College, 1000 College Blvd., Pensacola, Florida 32504.